Hei from Phoenix, Arizona, USA!

DR1665

I found your community through a post on GalantVR4.org. Someone found video from your Summerday meet and shared them with us.
Here is a link to the thread: http://www.galantvr4.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Board=UBB13&Number=924819&page=0&fpart=1

My name is Brian. I live in Phoenix and I have (2) E39A Galant VR4s. One is my daily driver for work, the other will be a rally car one day and I will be racing it out in the Arizona and California desert. 8) I am very glad to have found this website, as I have a great respect for the natural driving talent of the Finnish people. Mäkinen, Grönholm, Hakkinen, Airikkala, and the like - these are heros of motorsport!

I also run Mitsubishi Gearbox Magazine and Rally Gearbox Magazine, where we try to interview Mitsubishi owners and rallyists from around the world. The idea is to introduce people to each other around the world and to hopefully unite the global automotive community.

Sadly, I do not speak any Finnish, but I hope that I can get to know many of you and share your stories on Gearbox Magazine. We have interviewed people in the USA, Canada, Mexico, England, Ireland, Scotland, Germany, South Africa, Iran, and Australia. I would really like more people to know about this community and its members.

If there is anything I can do to help out Mitsubishi Club Finland, please let me know!

Go fast with class!

Gsx

Vs: Hei from Phoenix, Arizona, USA!

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Those websites seemed very interesting. The idea is great :peukku

And since you mentioned Pentti Airikkala I would also bring up names like Tim O´Neil and my personal favorite Lasse Lampi. They all have been great VR4-drivers.

DR1665

Thank you, Gsx. :)

I am looking forward to spending a little time here. Sorry I do not speak Finnish. It is said to be the most difficult language to learn, yes?

J. Puhakka

Club Member
Moderaattori

DR1665 sanoi

I am looking forward to spending a little time here. Sorry I do not speak Finnish. It is said to be the most difficult language to learn, yes?

I guess Finnish is one of the most difficult language to learn (Or so I have heard..) Welcome to the forum. :)

-JP-

Sijainti
Tampere

Hi Brian,

I got to say i liked a "littlebit" of that Mitsubishi Gearbox magazine. :peukku

Biim

Sijainti
Vantaa

DR1665 sanoi

As of my knowledge its the second difficult to learn just after Mandarin Chinese. Good thing you and me both use latin alphabets though. ;D

Pumpkinca

Sijainti
Kortesjärvi

Hi! Just wanted to say something about driving skills in Finland.Everyone always wonders how come we are such a good drivers.. It is explained somehow with lots of fields,lakes and forests around Finland. I borned in a little village (less than 6000 people) and there was lots of agriculture=lots of fields,few lakes and lots of small forrest roads.It was very common to buy some old rwd (lada,volvo 240,old mazdas,old fords etc) and drive in those places (lakes of course in wintertime ;D). I think me and most of my friends bought first cars at age of 10-12 and when you know that you get drivers license here at age of 18 you got pretty much driving experience in all kinds of surfaces and weathers by then.(almost ready to race ;D) And of course you can fix those old bangers too.=) I dont know is that very common anymore but it was very common back in the days. :peukku

DR1665

@JP ;) :peukku

@Blim I suspect you are right. I have never seen so many little dots above letters before! Still, I have a great respect for Finland and hope to one day visit. I don't know how I will communicate when I am there, but I will try!

@Pumpkinca So you are driving for nearly a decade before you have your license! And most of that time on forest roads (and lakes too, in the winter, ja?), so it's natural that Finnish drivers succeed in rally. You know how Ken Block has done in WRC this year? The ironic thing is that he typically beats everyone in rallies in the USA. :(

Thank you all for the warm welcome. If any of you would like to be interviewed for either Mitsubishi or Rally Gearbox Magazine, please send me a PM or email. I would love to share your story with the world!

Go fast with class!

DaJackal

EA5A, Z16A, CB4A, D22, E39A
Club Member
Sijainti
Lappeenranta

Welcome to the forum!

Nice to see you here - If I remember correct, you are a wiseman at DSMtuners too? I have to read that very often since I have a 420a 2g DSM (usually 2g n/t's in Finland are EDM models and therefore powered by a naturally aspirated 4g63) that no shop is very familiar of.

I guess your knowledge of E39a VR4's will come in handy since three members have one (or tepi might have two) of those. At least I guess you know quite well which parts can be fitted from 1g gsx DSMs. ;D

E39a VR4's are very rare in Finland, but on the other hand it seems like 50% of members have or have owned an E39/E38 Dynamic-4, and many have even turbocharged them (making the car a VR4 from a legal point of view). Ilotalo has one of these and he was a bit on trouble with finding front shocks to it. I wonder if E39a VR4/1g gsx DSM shocks or even aftermarket coilover sets are interchangeable to these cars?

J. Puhakka

Club Member
Moderaattori

DR1665 sanoi
@Blim I suspect you are right. I have never seen so many little dots above letters before! Still, I have a great respect for Finland and hope to one day visit. I don't know how I will communicate when I am there, but I will try!

@Pumpkinca So you are driving for nearly a decade before you have your license! And most of that time on forest roads (and lakes too, in the winter, ja?), so it's natural that Finnish drivers succeed in rally. You know how Ken Block has done in WRC this year? The ironic thing is that he typically beats everyone in rallies in the USA. :(

Hi, I Think you can communicate in English in Finland. I think everyone learn it in school at least to some level, "rally-english" ;D

Driving in iced lakes are very common here, tough nowadays these "green/pollution"-people have been rallying against it. I live in the beach of the sea and we make track there every year: See track here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps0t-KNGzA4 (not a fast lap, just filming) track layout aint always the same.. But basically we are rallying there until basically car goes through the ice (happened last year) :D, first layer of ice broke and car sank like 30cm, that ended our last "season"

Also what comes to Ken Block, Jari Matti Latvala was giving him a ride and Ken Block told to media that "yes, i think that I need to learn couple things about driving in asphalt": You can see full link here:

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/ralli/uutiset.shtml/arkistot/ralli/2010/08/1172439 Use google translate to translate it to english (finnish is found from pulldown menu)

Twilight

DR1665 sanoi
You know how Ken Block has done in WRC this year? The ironic thing is that he typically beats everyone in rallies in the USA.

Ken Block. ;D ;D ;D I wonder how he could do in thousand lakes (Neste Rally Finland) where the camera and stunt- crews are not available.

cubeqtio

Mr. Cube
Club Member
Moderaattori

Want to say Hi to you to also! :)

I really like the Gearbox Magazine. :)

Us Fins are a bit "scared" of forigners but hey, you sound like a proper fella so why not open a few storys for you. Heh. :)

Here you can find some pics of the events this year: http://www.mitsubishiclubfinland.com/galleria/main.php?g2_itemId=24660

And yes, in one of the galleries its me in the sand with the reims blue evo 6.. :)

DR1665

Thank you for the continued warm welcome and comments on Gearbox Magazine. ;D

For some time, this site was down? Server issues? I was unable to access the site for a few days, and then spent the last two weeks in Germany visiting friends, where I had no internet access.

I would really like to interview some of you for Gearbox. Would anyone be interested? If so, please send me an email.

Thank you!

Ylös Bottom